Whew! Yesterday was a big canning day without outside help. Today I have labeled the jars, and organized the cupboard, and taken inventory. And I am inspired to make a list here of just what I’ve added to that cupboard, or given away, so far this year.
Still to go: the fall preserving, which in my kitchen, means at least raspberry jam and applesauce. This year, I’m also thinking apple butter and pear butter. Stay tuned!
First, the jams or preserves – I usually put these up in half-pint jars, but sometimes will use Weck jars (6 oz) or the tiny 4-oz jars.
- Apricot jam, 16
- Strawberry jam, 10
- Black-raspberry/Lemon jam, 7
- Peach Oolong jelly, 6 4-oz jars
- Microwave Peach Butter, 2
- Small-batch Peach Jam, 4
- Peach-Nectarine Jam, 6
- Pear-Apricot-Vanilla Jam, 4 Weck jars
Pickles - these are usually in pint jars
Tomatoes – Salsa gets put up in half-pint jelly jars; other tomato products go in pints – except, of course, the dried ones, which end up being frozen
Marinara Sauce – 57 pints from 3 half-bushels
- Chili sauce – 6 (an experiment this year)
- Crushed Tomatoes – 10 pints from 1 peck
- Salsa – 24 half-pints from 1 peck
- Oven-dried tomatoes – about 3 pints so far